Situated in the heart of the Northern Fells of Cumbria this small B&B is the perfect place to stay whether you are visiting for business or leisure. Located in the town of Keswick we are a 5 minute walk from the main shops and attractions. Glencoe Guest house is situated on a level road in a quiet residential area of town.
We offer 6 letting bedrooms, all of which are on the first and second floor with en-suite bathrooms except for our single bedroom on the 2nd floor which has sole use of a private bathroom on the 1st floor.
For breakfast, where possible, we use locally sourced ingredients and cater for varying dietary requirements.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 017687 71016 or email
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car using www.rac.co.uk/route-planner Simply enter your postcode and ours, which is CA12 4EN to get directions or for public transport by using www.transportdirect.info. The nearest railway station is Penrith, which is 18 miles away (a 30 minute drive or 45min bus ride). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance. A local taxi firm, Davies Taxis is located in Helvellyn Street, two doors away from the guesthouse. Tel – 017687 72676.
- The nearest bus stop is a short walk from the B&B – ask the driver for the stop on Station Street. There is a shelter but no seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair. The No. X4 and X5 bus runs to/from the bus station and the railway station at Penrith every hour Monday – Saturday and the X5 every 2 hours on Sundays. A timetable is available in the Breakfast Room.
- The pavement on the street leading to the B&B is paved.
- Glencoe Guest House is not suitable for wheel chair users or those unable to climb stairs due to the physical constraints internally and externally specifically steps to the front and inside the property.
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is no off street parking for Glencoe Guesthouse. However, there is unrestricted street parking all year in the surrounding streets. In some areas a parking permit is required and these are provided free of charge at locations along the permit zone.
- There is street lighting.
- There are three steps to the front door.
- This is well lit at night by an outside light.
- The front door is 910mm/36ins wide.
- The owners will make every effort to meet guests on arrival, assist them with their luggage and show them to their room.
- When booking guests are requested to give an estimated time of arrival.
Main Entrance and Reception
- Guests are welcomed in the hallway, which is level throughout, where they are asked to register. A magnifying glass, pad and pen are available upon request.
- Seating is available in the Dining room if required.
- The floor is carpeted with 1 large non slip runner rug.
- The area is even and well lit with overhead lighting.
- Guests are shown the breakfast room and their bedroom.
- There is seating outside the front entrance.
- The front door has an external bell for attention.
- The internal vestibule door is closed at all times. Guests are provided with a key to this door along with a room key.
Internal Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using a combination of ceiling lights with emergency lighting in case of power failure.
- Smoke detectors and fire alarms are fitted throughout the property
- There are fire extinguishers on all levels
- There is short pile carpet on the stairs, hall and landing.
- There is a continuous flight of thirteen steps to the first floor and bedroom 1, with a handrail on one side. There are 5 steps with handrail to the upper first floor where rooms 2, 3 and the bathroom for room 6 are located and 17 steps with handrail to the second floor where room 4,5 and 6 are located.
- Stairs are 180mms/7ins high.
- All guest bedroom doors are fire retardant and self closing. They are yale locked and a key is provided to each guest on arrival.
- The breakfast room is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the front door and stairs. The room is centrally heated and has a real fire place.
- The door opening to the dining room is 760mm/30ins wide and it is level throughout.
- Lighting is natural daylight with overhead and wall lighting.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. Please advise us when making a booking.
- Breakfast is served from 8am until 9am – you can help yourself to fruit juices, toast, cereals and fruit and your cooked breakfast order is served.
- There is 1 single bedroom on the second floor, with sole use of a private bathroom on the first floor. The door to this bedroom (Room 6) is 740mm/29ins wide.
- There are 2 double ensuite bedrooms on the second floor, Rooms 5 & 4, the doors are 730mm/29ins wide for room 5 and 740mm/29ins wide for room 4.
- There is 1 ensuite family bedroom, with one double bed and one single bed on the first floor, (Room 3), the door is 760mm/30ins wide.
- There are 2 flexible ensuite bedrooms with twin beds that can be zipped and locked to become super king size beds. One of these is on the first floor at the top of the stairs (Room 1), the other is on the next landing up another 4 steps (Room 2), the doors are 770mm/30ins wide for room 2 and 730mm/28.5ins for room 1.
- Furniture can be easily removed from bedrooms if necessary.
- The height of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is listed below for each of the rooms as follows;
- Room 1 – 600mm/23.5ins.
- Room 2- 560mm/22ins
- Room 3 – Double = 570mm/22.5ins Single = 620mm/24.5ins
- Room 4 – 540mm/21ins
- Room 5 – 570mm/22.5ins
- Room 6 – 470mm/18.5ins
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit. Bedside lamps are also in each room.
- All of our bedrooms offer the following:
- Lighting as above,
- Good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors,
- short pile carpet,
- all bedding is non-feather,
- digital television with remote control and English subtitles.
- The bedrooms are not suitable for wheel chair use.
- There is a smoke detector in each bedroom.
- All bedrooms have individually controlled radiators, hairdryers, flat screen TVs, lined waste bins, chairs and complimentary tea & coffee making facilities with biscuits.
- Each bedroom is supplied with replacement bedding if required.
- Additional pillows and fan heater are available on request.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- Rooms 1 to 5 have en-suite bathrooms. Room 6 on the second floor has private use of a bathroom on the first floor. A bath robe is provided for use of the occupier of room 6.
- All en-suite bathrooms offer the following:
- Door opening to the bathroom of 830mm/32.5ins.
- A shower cubicle.
- Toilet height of 400mm/15.7ins.
- Wash basin height of 800mm/31.5ins.
- A grab rail in the bath.
- Well lit with overhead lights and a fluorescent light over mirror.
- non-slip flooring.
- All showers have a 101mm/4ins step into them.
- Complimentary toiletries are provided.
- Bath sheets and hand towels are provided.
- Every en-suite has an electric heated handrail – these are set to zero on arrival.
- Glencoe offer a drying facility for wet clothes. There is also a laundrette opposite the Bell Close carpark approx. 5 mins walk from Glencoe Guest House
- There is a secure, lockable facitlity for bicycle storage.
- Packed lunches are available for a small fee, see website.
- Flasks can be filled if required.
- Evacuation procedures are printed on the bedroom doors – should you require it someone will come to your room and assist you with evacuation.
- A water bowl can be made available outside the front door for assistance dogs and can be supplied for bedrooms where necessary.
- There is a small guest house safe, operated by the owners for the benefit of guests.
- There is a full fire risk assessment in place.
- Fire extinguishers are fully serviced and the fire alarm tested weekly.
- The nearest Shopmobility is in Carlisle, at Level 2, The Lanes, Car Parl Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8NX, tel: 01228 631564.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS are in Workington or Carlisle and the nearest Doctor’s surgery is 10 mins walk away at the Castlehead Medical Centre, tel 017687 72025 (24 hours). Please let us know if you require further information about these.
- Free WiFi Internet access is available.
- We can offer a list of nearby attractions and suggested places to eat, publicity leaflets available in the breakfast room.
- We constantly review our website to make it more accessible, your comments are welcome to assist us with this project.
Address : Glencoe Guest House, 21 Helvellyn Street, Keswick, CA12 4EN.
Telephone: 017687 71016,
Grid Reference: Ordnance Survey Sheet 90,
Grid reference ST 271 234
Hours Of Operation: Open all year round except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Local Accessible Taxi: Davies’s Taxis – 017687 72676